02 January 2010

Goodbye to the Noughties

As a new decade starts it makes me think about the last 10 years of my life, what I have done and achieved in what is meant to be the prime time of my life. Seeing out my 20's and reaching my 30's.

So here it is 10 years of my life summarised into one tiny blog for the period of time known as the Noughties!

2000

This was the year that everyone was afraid that the world was going to fall apart with what was called the Millennium Bug. People refused to travel in planes because they thought that they would fall out of the sky - the worlds computers were going to shut down and Armageddon was going to start! Yeah right, this was just a big pile of mumbo jumbo I think invented by Bill Gates to bring Microsoft some more money! We saw the change in Millennium in by going to a New Years Eve party at a random friends house that we don't even see anymore. I remember doing the count down and thinking 'damn that was an anti climax to what was meant to be a big drama'.

In the year 2000 it was the year that Graham and I bought our first house, a lovely little 3 bedroom home that we lived in for nearly six years of our lives! We spent a lot of time doing renovations, we put in a new kitchen, pergola, garden - Graham even laid new lawn.





2001

This was my year to attempt to conquer a small part of the world. Graham had no interest in travelling, but was more than happy for me to go and fulfill one of my many life long dreams, and that was to see Europe in all its glory! I had saved for a very long time, by working two jobs, and when the time came, off I went.

I travelled on my own, which for a first time traveller was very daunting, little things like learning how to dial a telephone home was terrifying for me! I remember being stuck in Hong Kong where I did a stop over on my way to Europe, and I had no idea what I needed to dial to ring home. Sounds stupid, but it took me running into other Australians to realise that you have to drop the '0' in the area code and just dial +61 country code.

Once I was in Europe or London to start with, I was ok because I started my journey doing a Contiki Tour and met up with so money wonderful and lovely people. I few of them I have kept in touch with now, but of course many of us all just went our separate travelling ways.

Here are a few pictures that I found in my album, that I have scanned to immortalise on my blog:



I Travelled through Europe in July and August of 2001, care free and relaxed and totally naive to the fact that we live in a rather cruel and scary world. When I returned home, I got to live just one month in a world of secure bliss because on 11 September 2001, the world as I knew it changed, with the events that took place in America when passenger planes that were hijacked by terrorists and were flown directly into the World Trade Centres in New York.

On the night that it happened (or morning in the USA) I slept and was oblivious to the fact that every television Channel was showing live footage of the planes hitting the buildings. Most people I know saw it happen before bed, and spent the night getting no sleep and being fixated on their televisions. I didn't hear of it, until my alarm went off at 5:30am - I did not hit the snooze button, I sat up and realised that a war was about to start, that would effect all of us.

2002

Well this was a big year for me. Firstly we bought our first brand new car, which was a 2002 VX Holden Commodore - it was helpful that Graham worked at Holden's and was able to receive quite a significant discount.

We also got our dog Ally, who we still have, she has a wonderful temperament, and has been a great little addition to our family.

2002 was also the year that my lovely and wonderful partner of seven years popped the big question and asked me to marry him. It was lovely, he took me to dinner at a little french restaurant then on the top of the Stamford Plaza roof top, he got down on bended knee and asked me to be his wife.

Not wanting to waste a second, we then invited all of our friends to our Engagement Party in October, and then an hour into our party we actually surprised all of our guests by getting married. I know at the time we had mixed reactions by family and friends, most people were really happy for us, there were however a few people that could not understand that we did not tell everyone about our plans. I am hoping that all is forgiven now though - at the time we needed to do it our way, without fuss, to help cater for our divorced parents and a way for us to be able to afford to invite all of our huge families and friends.

After we got married we headed up to sunny Queensland and spent a few days on the Gold Coast for a lovely get away.

2003

The biggest event of 2003 was our trip to America and Canada. Graham and I travelled from the West Coast to the East Coast of the good old USA. We took direct flights so there was no Asian stop overs, but basically our trip saw us arrive in San Fransisco, then to LA, Anaheim, San Diego, Tijuana, Las Vegas, New York, Toronto and Montreal. We travelled for 5 weeks, and never had nearly enough time to do all of the things that we wanted to do. We have both vowed to return to the States one day and get more travel done.

2004

My New Years Resolution for 2004 was to see a little more of Australia, Some of my travel destinations included Queensland, Sydney and Victoria. I figured after seeing so much of the world that it was about time I saw a little more of this great country that we live in.

After two trips to Melbourne we once again went to Queensland with Grahams sister Tremayne and my sister Amanda:


Graham and I conquered Sydney on our Anniversary trip away:

and in 2004 Graham and I discovered that we were going to be first time parents with a baby due in 2005.


2005

So that now leads me to the birth of my first son Harrison, he came into the world a month early in July 2005, weighing 7 pounds 7 ounces or 3.37Kg. I actually had Harrison on my last day of work, instead of going to my farewell lunch, I was in hospital having a baby - needless to say his early arrival caught us all of guard.


2006

When Harrison was nine months old, we got the moving itch and moved and bought our second house, just a quick drive from our previous house - but this being a much bigger house to accommodate our expanding family. Moving into a bigger house meant we had barely any furniture, but it would be a continuous project to get the house the way we liked it.

In 2006 Harrison turned 1, and still to this day the miracle of my children amazes me at how much our lives have changed for the better since having children.


2007

Well now I am getting to where my blogs began so Ill just summarise the years. 2007 was a big year for us for good and bad reasons. It started badly with the death of my much loved nan. I still miss her so much and wish she could have got to meet Mitchell.

In 2007 we took our third trip to Queensland with our dear friends 'the Young family'. We had a great time and I can not wait to go away with them again. (Hint Hint Wink Wink).

Graham and I took a trip to Malaysia:



and Graham asked me to add to the blog that 2007 was the year that Port Power lost the AFL Grand Final by the biggest losing margin in the games history of 119 points - which is big relevance and importance to Graham.... :-)

2008

In 2008 I commenced University for the second time to start a degree in Business Management. It turned out to be a hard task with raising a toddler at the same time, but I managed to successfully complete 3 subjects, as well as working two jobs - not too bad if you ask me. It will take a long time to complete the degree, but I will get there eventaully.

In 2008 I found out I was pregnant with our second child - which was all very exciting and daunting at the same time.

While I was pregnant with Mitchell, I had a fall getting off the train from work and broke my arm and a few teeth - It was all really horrible at the time, and I have never felt so terrified that I had done some damage to my unborn baby, but I receive the nightly cuddles as proof that there really is a lot of protection in the womb for babies.

2009

Well what can I say that I havent already previously blogged about. In January we were blessed with the arrival of Mitchell, my precious little boy that has bought us all so much joy. His big brother gets a little jelous some times, but he still loves his little brother very much.

So as this decade has now come to a close, I love being able to look back on all that I have done and achieved, and look forward to the next decade of seeing my children grow into young adults. I hope that I can add more travel stories, and will enjoy writing about the Daily Sagas of Laura, Graham, Harrison and Mitchell

xox




No comments: